Driving Safely Into the Future
GENERAL STATEMENT OF CONTEST OPERATION
The New York Association for Pupil Transportation operates the School Bus Safety Poster Contest in accordance with guidelines and rules set out by the National School Bus Safety Week (NSBSW) Committee. Deadlines for submittal of poster entries are established to ensure our ability to judge and select posters for entry into the national competition.
WHO MAY ENTER?
Any student enrolled in a public, parochial, or other private school in New York State may submit an entry.
Posters may be submitted under five categories and winning posters will be selected from each division, as follows:
- Division #1 – Grades K-2
- Division #2 – Grades 3-5
- Division #3 – Grades 6-8
- Division #4 – Special Education
- Division #5 – CAD (Computer Aided Drawing) (May include high school entries)
All posters must be submitted to the NASSAU NYAPT Chapter.
Please judge the posters at your district, then;
Submit First, Second and Third Place Posters from each category by January 10, 2024 to:
Castel Stone — Jericho UFSD
99 Cedar Swamp Rd, Jericho NY 11753
NO POSTER ENTRIES WILL BE ACCEPTED AFTER THE DEADLINE DATE OF JANUARY 10TH.
ALL Entries must have affixed to the back of the poster the Official Entry Form included with these instructions. Use of other such forms will result in disqualification of the poster entry.
POSTERS MAY NOT BE FORWARDED TO THE STATE UNLESS THE PARTICIPATING DISTRICT IS A NYAPT STATE MEMBER!
Only those entries that win First Place in each division at the state level will be forwarded to the National Committee by the national deadline. All such winning entries become the property of the National School Bus Safety Week Committee, and are not returned.
WHEN CAN POSTERS BE DRAWN?
Posters must be submitted to the local chapter by January 10th; The Nassau County winning posters will then be submitted to NYAPT for state-wide judging. Judging will be held in Albany at the 2024 NYAPT Winter Workshop in mid-February.
- Completed poster size must be 12” x 18” or 11” x 17”.
- There must be a card/entry blank (see attached) securely fastened to the back of the poster which include the student’s name, grade, age, teacher’s name, school name and school address. Please print clearly.
IMPORTANT: Include all information requested on the entry form including the specific address where the participant can receive correspondence. This form MUST be affixed to the back of the poster entry to qualify the poster for judging.
- Posters may be illustrated on the vertical or horizontal axis.
- Do NOT roll posters. They must be mailed/delivered flat.
- Designs should be submitted on quality tag, poster illustration board or heavy paper. Construction paper may be used but winning entries must be mounted on quality tag poster.
- Lamination is not permitted, and will disqualify the poster.
- Cut paper/stencils (freehand or pre-drawn stick on stencils) are not permitted and will disqualify the poster.
- There is no limitation on the use and number of colors.
NOTE: Use of a specific school district or company name displayed on the front of the poster will disqualify the poster.
There is no limitation on the type of media- such as paint, crayon, felt pen, etc. – used on the poster design; however, wood, plastic, glass or metal should not be part of the poster. Collage materials should not be used. Glued on pieces will eliminate the poster. Poster designs may not incorporate any copyrighted characters (i.e.: comic and/or television characters), photographs, magazines or newspaper illustrations.
NOTE: Do not use the school district or company name on the side of the bus.
EVERY POSTER AND SLOGAN MUST HARMONIZE THE THEME FOR 2024:
“Driving Safely Into the Future”
(Contestants must illustrate above theme only, and the theme must be exactly as shown)
Illustrations must be original, correct in safety concepts and the exclusive work of the student entering the contest in idea, design and execution. Illustrations should be positive in approach, demonstrating only proper school bus safety behaviors. At least a part of a yellow school bus must be present in the poster.
Freehand drawn letters only may be used on the poster design. Stenciled, pre-printed, manufactured stick-on or press-on letters or tracings may not be used and will disqualify the poster. Lettering should be clearly legible, even if used as part of the poster design.
Prominent individuals in the field of pupil transportation will evaluate posters for the Nassau County Competition. First Place Posters will then be sent to Albany NY to be judged at the State Level during the annual NYAPT conference. The winning posters may be used by NYAPT for educational purposes and contest promotion. Criteria for selection of award winning posters are:
- Relationship of the poster design to school bus safety practices
- Originality of the poster and how the idea is expressed in the poster design
- Artwork and its execution
- Visual impact of the poster design
All rules regarding poster specifications, themes, lettering, etc. must be followed. The penalty for non-compliance will be disqualification of the poster.
All entries become the property of the NYAPT Poster Committee as is the right to modify any poster for reproduction is reserved by the NSBSW Committee.
Nassau Chapter Awards will be Monetary Prizes and Certificates for each of the following categories:
- 1st Place Winners in each division $100 check and certificate
- 2nd Place Winners in each division $75 check and certificate
- 3rd Place Winners in each division $50 check and certificate
REMINDER–POSTERS MAY NOT BE FORWARDED TO THE STATE UNLESS THE PARTICIPATING DISTRICT IS A NYAPT STATE MEMBER!
New York State awards are as follows:
- 1st Place Winners in each division: $100 check and certificate
- 2nd Place Winners in each division: $75 check and certificate
- 3rd Place Winners in each division: $50 check and certificate
National Prize Award Levels:
Poster entries that are selected for submittal to the national competition may be eligible to be selected for prize awards as follows:
- 1st Place and Overall, Winner:$500
- 1st Place Winners of remaining 3 divisions: $250
- 2nd Place Winners of each 4 divisions: $100
- 3rd Place Winners of each 4 divisions: $50
- 1st Place Winner of CAD division: $50
- 1st Place Winner of International division: $50